Hiring Information for Management Employees
Application for Employment
- All applications for employment shall be submitted online, completed as directed and filed on or before the filing deadline as specified.
- Applications may be rejected for inability to meet minimum qualifications for employment; previous dismissal from the classified service or resignation under charges; conviction of designated sex, controlled substance and serious/violent felony offenses; for providing false statements in application or for any of the causes listed in the Personnel Commission Rules & Regulations (for classified management positions).
- For management positions requiring a credential, it is imperative that you attach a copy of the credential required for the position. Not attaching it could affect whether or not you are considered for the position.
- If you do not possess the credential but think you are eligible, please attach an explanation of how you believe you are eligible. Attach proof of application to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing or your transcripts.
- For more information about credential requirements, visit our credentials page or the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
Equal Opportunity Employer
- The San Diego County Office of Education (SDCOE) is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, age, political affiliation, medical condition or disability.
- Reasonable accommodations are provided for disabled persons. Advance notice is necessary. Call 858-571-7254 for arrangements.
- Generally, applications are prescreened within one week of the filing deadline.
- For non-credentialed positions, applicants who pass the prescreening are invited to participate in the exam process. This may include a formal evaluation of the application materials, performance, written and/or oral test parts designed to assess the minimum qualifications and ability to perform the duties advertised for the position. Applicants who successfully complete this process will be placed on an eligibility list and those in the top three ranks will be considered for employment.
- For credentialed positions, applications are prescreened for minimum qualifications by Human Resources. Those applications that pass the prescreening are released to the hiring manager or a screening committee for further review. This determines who will be interviewed.
- The interview process may include a writing sample and/or a presentation depending on the position.
- Applicants are notified via email of their status.
- The salary range is shown on the job announcement and available on our Management salary schedule.
- Placement on the salary shall be determined by Human Resources based upon a review of the candidate's verified work experience.
- A certificated management employee shall advance one step on the salary schedule for each year of service in the classification until the maximum salary for the classification is reached. A year of service is defined as service for at least 75 percent of the working days in the assignment year for the position class.
- For classified management employees, advancement on the salary schedule is in accordance with Personnel Commission Rules & Regulations
- Step advancement shall be on July 1 of a given fiscal year.
- Employees with an earned doctorate in an appropriate academic area from an institution accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges shall be entitled to an additional stipend of $1555 on an annual basis.
- California State Law requires that all employees be fingerprinted and employment is contingent upon fingerprint clearance.
- The employee must pay the required $49.00 fee which will be deducted from the employee’s first paycheck.
Preplacement Medical Examination
- Appointment and start date are contingent upon successful completion of a preplacement medical examination which includes a drug and alcohol screening and Tuberculosis exam.
Oath of Allegiance
- New employees must sign and agree to abide by the provisions of the State of California Loyalty Oath.
- Classified management employees must satisfactorily complete a probationary period of one year.
- Certificated management employees are employed on a year-to-year contract basis.
- The SDCOE provides excellent fringe benefit plans for regular employees including medical and life insurance plans, paid holidays; vacation and sick leave benefits.