Aspiring leaders and school administrators can build their professional practice through participation in the SDCOE School Leadership Institutes. These leadership programs are designed based on what San Diego County superintendents say they are looking for in district and school leaders.
Discover Upcoming Leadership Institutes
SDCOE partnered with the nationally recognized University of Washington Center for Educational Leadership (CEL) to offer the two-day Targeted Feedback Institute.
Engage in a 1.5-day overview of the 5 Dimensions of Teaching and LearningTM (5D) instructional framework by the University of Washington Center for Educational Leadership. Participants will also engage in four half-day walk-throughs at various school sites to sharpen their ability to observe and analyze instruction.
- Click the dates to register for the course beginning Sept. 14 through Dec. 13.
- The special introductory price is $250.
- Develop a shared vision and common language for high-quality instruction across all subjects.
- The overview and walk-throughs are taken together to support learning and application to authentic classroom settings.
The Teacher Leadership Academy provides concentrated, high-quality professional learning for established teachers searching for the knowledge and tools to be more effective coaches and team leaders.
This two-day institute helps principals and their teams develop expertise around the high-leverage instructional strategies that increase student agency and accelerate student achievement.
This one-day event is a follow-up to the highly popular LIFT Institute. Administrators looking for more can build upon their professional development plan created in the LIFT Institute and continue their efforts to create coherence around an instructional focus that supports student learning.
- Click the date to register for the event on Dec. 1.
- The cost is $100 per person.
Habits of Highly Successful Leaders
Gain strategies for your district and school leaders, teachers, and counselors to make equity a reality in your district or school. Build leadership excellence and capacity to lead for equity across systems, and foster an inclusive and supportive learning environment for each and every student and student group.
- Click the dates Oct. 17 and 18 and Dec. 7 to register.
- Where: Marina Village Anchor Room
- Cost: $225 per person in teams of three or more; $275 for individual registrants. Cost includes continental breakfast, lunch, and materials.
This one-day session is great for both new and experienced site principals to learn new ways to leverage every hour of the day, spend more time as an instructional leader, and stop avoiding uncomfortable, but necessary conversations with staff.
- Check back for upcoming dates.
- Features Tressie Armstrong, principal of Kelly Elementary School in Carlsbad Unified School District
- Includes the book Fierce Conversations by Susan Scott
This three-day intensive workshop is based upon the work of the Carnegie Foundation on leading for improvement in education. Improvement science is a methodology for using disciplined inquiry to solve a specific problem of practice.
- Check back for new dates.
- Learn improvement methodologies through working on a specific problem facing your organization over the course of three months.
- Choose an appropriate project and the right team for a productive learning experience.
These seminars provide school and district leaders the opportunity to build their professional expertise in research-proven strategies that positively impact student learning. They also support the required 40 hours of professional learning and are no additional cost for participants in the SDCOE Clear Administrative Services Credential Program.
- Check back soon for the next seminar series dates.
- Designed for new school administrators
- Download the flier
The Principal Leadership Institute will announce here when the next cohort will open and how to enroll. This once-a-year opportunity is designed for principals working to become great leaders who inspire teachers and advance student achievement.
- SDCOE is the only agency in California approved to teach the 5 Dimensions of Teaching and LearningTM (5D) instructional framework and Targeted Feedback Institute from the highly regarded University of Washington Center for Educational Leadership.
- The institute is customizeable to a five-day or three-day program
About SDCOE Leadership Institutes
- High-quality, coherent professional learning system for aspiring leaders and current school leaders
- Authentic experiences that develop instructional leadership
- Courses offered in a blended, online learning format
- Grounded in research-based instructional leadership practices and principles
- Informed by leadership needs identified by districts throughout the county