Elementary Science Field Day Events
- Anatomy (PDF)
- Barge Building (PDF): Students will construct a barge using heavy-duty aluminum foil.
- Catapult Competition (PDF): The students build catapults using the given parameters.
- Changing Earth (PDF) : Students demonstrate their knowledge of the Earth's geologic history and of geology concepts.
- Circuit Wizardry (PDF) : This event will test students' knowledge of simple direct current electric circuits
- Don't Bug Me (PDF): The contestants are to distinguish insects from non-insects, identify various body parts, and know other arthropod characteristics.
- EGG DROP*: This is a non-competitive event
- Mirror Magic (PDF) : Using mirrors, students bounce light beams onto predetermined targets.
- Make It, Take It Paddle Boats (PDF)
- Perplexing Powders (PDF): Students identify mystery powders.
- Rocking Out (PDF): Contestants identify rocks and minerals during a specified amount of time.
- Simple Machines (PDF): Students will design and build a Rube Goldberg contraption utilizing as many simple machines as possible.
- Starry, Starry Night (PDF) : This event is to demonstrate the students' knowledge of constellations, stars, and the local solar system.
- Structures (PDF) : This event is to test students' ability to build strong, stable, reproducible structures from common materials. No spectators will be allowed for this event.
- Tin Can Racers (PDF): A team consisting of two team members will compete against other teams in a distance race with tin can racers.
- Triathlon Relay (PDF): Three physical skills are interspersed with science questions in an obstacle course.
- Aerodynamics: Students will build two paper airplanes to be flown a distance of between five and fifteen meters.
- Paper Rockets: Each team will build and fly a paper rocket.
- Leaf It Alone: Students will work together to identify various trees by using an identification key and leaf and tree part samples.
- Under the Sea: This event covers Oceanography, Marine Biology, and Marine Ecology
- Nutrition Expedition: Work as a team to answer questions regarding human nutrition.