School counselors have a critical role in our schools, especially now with LCAPs focused on college and career readiness and the important work of equity for our students.
Through SDCOE, you can:
professional learning tailored to your unique needs
with other school counselors
Gain valuable resources for you, your students, and your colleagues by utilizing our Resource Quick Links
The 2018 School Counselor Leadership Conference was held on Feb. 15 at the Handlery Hotel in San Diego.
At this third annual conference, attendees:
- Explored the latest research and best practices in school counseling
- Accessed a WACAC college fair with college admission officers on-hand to answer questions and share valuable insights into the process
- Enjoyed time to network and collaborate with peers and district teams
All session strands can be viewed on our
online schedule for the event.
2017 School Counselor Leadership Conference
If you missed last year's School Counselor Leadership Conference on Feb. 14, or want to relive some of your favorite moments, check below for resources, videos, and more.
Join a cohort of credentialed school counselors who are getting familiar with their new roles.
Counselors working in K-12 schools for three years or less can grow and learn through the year with peer networking, coaching, and direct training that aligns with the American School Counselor Association (ASCA) Mindsets and Behavior Standards in the areas of academic, career, and social and emotional development.
Topics across the six sessions align with Local Control and Accountability Plan (LCAP) state priorities. Click here to register.
In the New School Counselor Leadership Institute, you will:
- Be supported by two SDCOE divisions: Learning and Leadership Services and Student Services and Programs
- Received six full days of professional learning provided by experts in the field and certified trainers
- Gain valuable knowledge in topics that directly affect your daily work with students
- Be equipped to promote mindsets and behaviors that enhance the learning process and create a culture of college and career readiness for all students
- Attend the School Counselor Leadership Conference in February
- Grow with two-hours of individual coaching at your school site
- Jan. 11, 2017
- Feb. 15, 2018
- March 13, 2018
- April 17, 2018
The New School Counselor Institute: Year Two is designed to support the credentialed counselors who completed the first year of the New School Counselor Leadership Institute.
Continue the first year of growth and support with new opportunities to learn and connect with the American School Counselor Association (ASCA) Mindsets and Behavior Standards in academic, career, and social-emotional development areas.
In the New School Counselor Institute: Year Two you will:
- Learn how to build a comprehensive school program
- Dig into organization and tech tools, data gathering and tracking, and managing confidential records
- Gain skills and resources is advocating for your program and engaging parents
- Attend the 2018 School Counselor Leadership Conference
- Access expert support from two SDCOE divisions: Learning and Leadership Services and Student Services and Programs
2017-18 Institute Dates:
- Feb. 15, 2018
- April 25, 2018
View additional professional learning opportunities for school counselors