Educators, parents and other community members from the north coastal and eastern areas of the county gathered this month to honor those who have gone above and beyond to help support students with special needs.
The East County Special Education Local Plan Area Community Advisory Committee held its annual awards dinner on May 15, honoring 15 teachers, support workers and community members from the Alpine Union, Cajon Valley Union, Dehesa, Grossmont Union High, Jamul-Dulzura Union, Lakeside Union, La Mesa-Spring Valley, Lemon Grove, Mountain Empire Unified and Santee school districts.
The North Coastal Consortium for Special Education Community Advisory Committee held its awards program on May 21, honoring 13 educators, students, and community members from the Oceanside Unified, Carlsbad Unified, Del Mar Union, Encinitas Union, San Marcos Unified, and Solana Beach school districts.
"It is a wonderful way to end the year, and is well attended by families, teachers, and administrators who come to celebrate their colleagues," said Lisa Houghtelin, parent liaison with the North Coastal consortium.
Honorees in East County:
- JoAnn Perez, a special education teacher in the Alpine Union School District
- Darren Phillips, a school psychologist in the Cajon Valley Union School District
- Meagan Davis, an instructional assistant in the Dehesa School District
- Jennifer Shaw, a physical therapist in the Grossmont Union High School District
- Humberto Valdez, general manager at Peter Piper Pizza
- Maira Rubio, special day class teacher at the Jamul-Dulzura Union School District
- Lisa Webber, a driver, dispatcher and trainer in the Lakeside Union School District
- Carol Ghio, a speech-language pathologist in the La Mesa-Spring Valley School District
- Craig Beaver, Virginia Carranza, Cheryl Gay-Perri and Cheryl Poovey from the Transportation Department at the Lemon Grove School District
- Linda Miller, a special education paraeducator in the Mountain Empire Unified School District
- Nicole Najar, a special day class teacher in the Santee School District
- Donna Atlas, program secretary with the East County Special Education Local Plan Area.
Honorees in North County:
- Special Education Teacher: Keith Boyd, Oceanside Unified School District
- General Education Administrator: Bryan Brockett, Carlsbad Unified School District
- Patti Elson-Becknell Award for Related Services: Rebecca Chambers, Del Mar Union
- Collaborative Team: Encinitas Union School District team
- Special Education Administrator: Lola Harlan, San Marcos Unified
- Lynette Robinson Award for Inclusive Education: Jacquelyn Kenny, Solana Beach
- Supportive Student: Eva Lefferdink, Solana Beach
- Special Education Support, Denise Pitts, Carlsbad Unified
- Community Member: Pastor Chico Goff, Mission Hills Church
- Employer: San Marcos CVS Pharmacy Stores
- Bob Grundstrom Memorial Scholarship: Ana Jacobo Campuzano and Gerardo Prado Castro, Vista Unified.