An instructional assistant at San Pasqual High School in the Escondido Union High School District was recently named the 2015 San Diego County Classified Employee of the Year.
Christopher North was chosen from a countywide pool of district-level honorees by a panel of his peers and is now a candidate for California Classified Employee of the Year honors in the Para-Educator and Instructional Assistance category.
One special education teacher who works with North praised his initiative and involvement in the school community.
"He helps set up summer school field trips each year for special needs students," the teacher said. "This year, he teamed up with a local nursery to build a garden for the students. Also, Christopher has been instrumental in organizing an annual Thanksgiving luncheon where special education students get to participate in serving students and staff district wide."
One parent who submitted a nomination wrote, "He always has a smile and shares it with everyone. Chris quietly leads by example."
The nominees from throughout the county are:
- Kim Acevedo, office manager, Bonsall Unified School District
- Roy Santa, custodian, Cajon Valley School District
- Amelia Montanez, instructional assistant, Carlsbad Unified School District
- Angelica Paredes, district accountant, Coronado Unified School District
- Derek Ray, special education aide, Del Mar Union School District
- Martin Magana, food service assistant, Encinitas Union School District
- Cindy Kroon, administrative analyst, Escondido Union School District
- Sherri Lytle, intervention program technician, Fallbrook Union Elementary School District
- Saul Hernandez, guidance information specialist, Grossmont Union High School District
- William White, skilled maintenance worker, La Mesa-Spring Valley School District
- Ramona Yakes, library media specialist, Lakeside Union School District
- Evaleen Hickman, instructional aide, Mountain Empire Unified School District
- Rick Claur, electrician, Poway Unified School District
- Tim Kuebler, special education para-educator, Ramona Unified School District
- Aida Hairston, program secretary, San Diego County Office of Education
- Pauline Burt, special education assistant, San Diego Unified School District
- Diane Fisher, administrative assistant, San Dieguito Union High School District
- Michele Freitas, instructional aide, San Marcos Unified School District
- Maria Fernanda Rios, instructional aide, San Ysidro School District
- Jackie D'Agostino, school secretary, Santee School District
- Julie Penwell, buyer, South Bay Union School District
- Leticia Alegria, instructional assistant, Vallecitos School District