Charter School Services
The San Diego County Office of Education (SDCOE) ensures organizational efficiency by developing and administering oversight for the 11 SDCOE-authorized charter schools. The County Office also provides technical assistance and training to San Diego County charter schools and school districts related to charter school oversight, operations, and legal requirements.
View a list of charter schools in San Diego County. To search for a charter school by their authorizing district, please use the California Department of Education (CDE) School Directory and choose the Advanced Search option.
Get in Touch
For general inquiries about services for charter schools and charter school district authorizers in San Diego County, please email email@example.com.
- Professional Development Opportunities and Resources
- Charter School Authorizer Resources
- Charter School Resources
- Charter Petition Submissions
- Current Charter Petitions - Pending Reviews
- San Diego County Charter School LCAP Submissions
- Charter School ADA Reports
- Student Records Requests
- SDCOE Authorized Charter School Annual Reports 2023
- Quarterly Interest Reports
Join the SDCOE Charter School Services team as we dive into finances, operations, and considerations for financial reporting. This will be an interactive opportunity to discuss finance and operations requirements, hear guidance on reporting deadlines, ask questions, and hear best practices from other San Diego County charter business / fiscal teams.
These virtual workshops are designed for charter school human resource leaders and staff. Together we will look at relevant topics and the laws and provisions that charter schools fall under, as it relates to Human Resources. You’ll hear from SDCOE’s Human Resource Services, Credentialing, Teacher Effectiveness and Preparation teams and more as they share the latest updates and opportunities for charter schools across San Diego County.
Authorizer Connection is a workshop series that began in 2019 for charter school authorizers and the staff that manage their district's charter school oversight. These meetings are held as a 3-part series in collaboration with the Office of the Fresno County Superintendent of Schools and the San Bernardino County Superintendent of Schools. Each workshop will focus on a specific agenda topic and will be an opportunity to bring together charter school authorizing agencies throughout the county and state to discuss the many facets of charter school oversight and the changing legislation that affects annual oversight obligations.
SDCOE Charter School Services is introducing a new platform for charter school Chief Business Officials (CBOs) to collaborate on capacity building, knowledge sharing, and cataloging promising practices to support the charter school business community. This business affinity group will enable members to work collaboratively on current issues, to develop processes, ideas, and solutions that provide the entire sector with the tools it needs to maximize their work. Registration is limited to the charter school CBO or an equivalent role at a charter school, responsible for guiding the organizations fiscal/budget/business operations.
These virtual meetings are designed to bring together charter instructional leaders across San Diego County. Charter schools are encouraged to have their leadership and staff attend.
Professional Development - Archived Resources
San Diego County Charter Instructional Leader Meetings
Charter School Leader Human Resources Workshops
- 2023-24 Archived presentations
Charter Business Network Meetings
- 2023-24 Archived presentations
AUTHORIZER Connection Workshops
Please note that these archived presentations will be posted through the current fiscal year.
Budget Interim Reporting
- 2022-23 Charter Unaudited Actual Review Template (.xlsx) (Coming Soon!)
- 2022-23 Adopted Budget Review Template (.xlsx)
- 2022-23 Interim Review Template (Coming Soon!)
- SAMPLE Financial Reporting Template (.xlsx)
- SAMPLE Charter Debt Disclosure Form (.docx)
- Multi-Year Unaudited Actual Comparison (.xlsx)
Template Oversight Documents
- SAMPLE Board Agenda Review Template (.docx)
- SAMPLE Board Meeting Observation Template (.docx)
- SAMPLE Quarterly Enrollment Adds / Drops Template (.docx)
- SAMPLE Fall Student Enrollment Template (.docx)
- SAMPLE LCAP Summary Review Template
- LCAP Charter School Education Code Sections (PDF)
- SAMPLE Charter School Special Education Provider Template (.xlsx)
- SAMPLE Charter School Health and Safety Compliance Template (.docx)
- SAMPLE Faculty Staff Roster Template (.docx)
- SDCOE Charter Petition Review Matrix SAMPLE (.docx)
- SAMPLE Charter School Oversight Calendar (PDF)
- SAMPLE Pre-Opening Checklist (PDF)
- SAMPLE Annual Certification of Charter School Visit (PDF)
- Charter Welcome Packet (PDF)
- California Education Code Search (Leginfo)
- Charter Petition Review Rubric (.docx)
- Charter School Independent Retirement Reporting
- LCAP Resources
- SDCOE Authorized Charter Schools
Finance Information, Independent Auditor Selection, and County Treasury Guide
- SDCOE Auditor Transfer Website Login
- SDCOE Auditor Transfer Website User Guide and Video Tutorial
- Charter Schools: San Diego County Treasury Account Guide (PDF)
- 2022-23 Unaudited Actuals Alternative Form Technical Checklist (.xlsx)
Additional Information and Resources
- California Department of Education (CDE) - Charter School Division
- California Public School Directory (CDE)
- Charter School Locator (CDE)
- Charter School General Information (CDE)
- Charter School Resources (CDE)
- Frequently Asked Questions about Charter Schools (CDE)
- Legislation Impacting Charters (CDE)
|Second Public Hearing
and Board Action Date
|No petitions under review at this time
Staff reports will be posted 15 days before the San Diego County Board of Education action meeting, at 3 p.m. Pacific Standard Time. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Education Code Section 47604.33 requires charter schools to submit a Local Control and Accountability Plan (LCAP) to their chartering agencies and the county superintendent of schools on or before July 1 of each year.
As of 2022, all charter schools operating in San Diego County will upload their board-approved LCAP as a single PDF document to SDCOE Charter School Services on or before July 1 via an online form. The deadline for submission of the 2023-24 LCAP has passed. All charter schools operating in San Diego County can use the 2024-25 LCAP submission form link, which will be sent via email in April 2024.
For the 2023-24 charter school LCAP submissions, the single PDF document must contain the following information:
- LCFF Budget Overview for Parents
- Plan Summary
- Engaging Educational Partners
- Goals and Actions
- Increased or Improved Services for Foster Youth, English Learners, and Low-Income Students
- Action Tables
Additional information about the required LCAP components can be found on the California Department of Education’s LCAP webpage.
All charter school LCAPs submitted to SDCOE will be posted in the SDCOE School Finder's Charter Directory.
Please note, for charter schools operating in San Diego County, the online submission replaces the previous submission to email@example.com. Should you have any questions or concerns regarding the submission of a charter school LCAP please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that the ADA report(s) above are pulled from CDE's Principal Apportionment Data Collection (PADC) Web Application following the Attendance Report Deadlines. Click here to view CDE's Principal Apportionment page for the certified ADA data and funding exhibits for the current fiscal year.
Please note, individuals requesting transcripts and school records should contact the school of attendance from which the records are needed. Please reference the California Department of Education's school directory to search for your school's contact information.
Q: I attended a charter school in San Diego County. Can SDCOE provide me with copies of my student records?
A: SDCOE does not hold student records for charter schools throughout the county unless the charter school was once authorized by SDCOE and is now closed. Please contact the charter school you attended to request copies of your student records.
Q: What if my charter school has closed?
A: California Education Code Section 47605(c)(5)(O) requires each charter to contain a description of the procedures for maintenance and transfer of pupil records including what happens to those records if the school closes. Each school should have a designated person from the charter school that could be contacted after closure. In some cases, the charter's authorizing district may have received copies of the student records from the closed charter school. This would typically be designated during the school's closing procedures.
Profile of the San Diego County Investment Pool
The San Diego County Investment Pool (Pool) was created when the State Legislature established the five-member San Diego County Board of Supervisors in 1853. It is a local government money fund which ranges in size from $10.2 - $15.9 billion in assets on an annual basis. The Pool is headed by the San Diego County Treasurer-Tax Collector, an elected official who is responsible for tax collection, banking, investment, disbursement and accountability of public funds. The Pool is managed by the Treasurer’s Office on behalf of Pool participants. You may learn about the Investment Pool here.
San Diego County pool interest rates will be posted here on a quarterly basis, as the information is shared out from the San Diego County Treasury.