The 50th annual San Diego Union-Tribune Countywide Spelling Bee is open to 6th-, 7th-, and 8th-grade students in a public or private school with a combined enrollment of 30 or more children. The overall winner of the countywide Spelling Bee will be awarded the title of Spelling Bee Champion, and will win an all-expense-paid trip to compete in the 2019 Scripps National Spelling Bee in the Washington, D.C., area in May.
- Thursday, March 14, 2019
- Town and Country San Diego, Golden Pacific Ballroom, 500 Hotel Circle North, San Diego, CA, 92108 (scroll down for directions)
A school must be registered with Scripps with fees submitted by Oct. 15, 2018, in order to ensure participation in the countywide spelling bee. School champion winner and runner-up information is due by Feb. 8. For more information contact Nicole Shina, 858-292-3850.
Spelling bee competitors, parents or guardians, and school leaders
Registration for the San Diego Union-Tribune Countywide Spelling Bee opens at 8:30 a.m. and all spellers must be registered by 8:55 a.m. This is a new venue for this event, so please be sure to account for driving time and parking. The bee begins at 9:15 a.m. and the full agenda is attached and available online.
Access photos of participants, live play-by-play action, and a front row seat to the countywide bee by connecting with the San Diego County Office of Education on social media.
Follow @SanDiegoCOE on Twitter for live tweeting during the competition, photo albums on Facebook, and videos on Instagram stories to stay connected and share the day with family members and friends, and your school and district supporters. Use #SDBee to join the conversation and follow along. There will be a photo wall at the event for fun pictures before the competition gets started.
Tell Your Story
Do you have an interesting story about making it to the bee? Have a family tree full of spelling bee competitors? We want to hear it! This is the 50th countywide spelling bee and we want to share the stories that bring the bee to life. Contact email@example.com or call 858-292-3753 to learn more.
The San Diego Union-Tribune Countywide Spelling Bee will be live streamed on ABC 10 News. If you can't make it in-person, catch all the action online.
Event parking and directions
Each participant will receive parking validation for one vehicle. Validation will be given at the registration table. Additional guests parking at the Town and Country will be responsible for the full, $8 cost of parking.
By Car to Town and Country San Diego:
- Interstate 8 East (El Centro) – Exit second Hotel Circle exit and turn left. Continue under the overpass and bear left.
- Interstate 8 West (Beaches) – Exit Hotel Circle and turn right.
- Interstate 5 – Exit onto Interstate 8 East (El Centro) and exit second Hotel Circle exit, turning left. Continue under the overpass and bear left.
- Interstate 805 and Interstate 15 – Exit onto Interstate 8 West (Beaches), exit Hotel Circle and turn right.
- Interstate 163 – Exit Hotel Circle and turn right.
Bus or Trolley to the Fashion Valley Transit Center:
- By Trolley – Green Line
- By Bus – Connecting Routes 6, 20A, 20B, 25, 41, 88, 120, 928