Marine Science Floating Lab
The Marine Science program is a half-day field trip conducted in the San Diego Bay on a boat outfitted with oceanographic equipment specifically for student use. All marine science activities incorporate major components of the state science framework. The curriculum includes:
Incorporating hands-on learning and major components of the state science framework, students participate in teams, manipulating oceanographic equipment, making observations, and gathering data and specimens from the ocean and sea bottom. Marine Science Floating Lab provides students the opportunity to learn about oceanography with actual observations and experiences on the bay as well as to study marine organisms in their offshore habitat.
Who is it for?
These extended marine science activities are designed for students in grades 2 through 12. The curriculum can be modified to serve all grade levels upon request.
How much does it cost?
This program will serve a maximum 40 people (including students, teachers, aides, volunteers, etc.).
- AM Boat (8:30-12:30) - $900
- PM Boat (1:00-5:00) - $855
- TWI Boat (5:30-9:30) - $855
How do I sign up?
The San Diego County Office of Education’s Outdoor Education Program Office must receive the following three items prior to booking a Marine Science Floating Lab trip:
- A science outreach program field trip agreement (contract) with authorized signature and date.
- A certificate of liability insurance. If your school is a member of the Risk Management Joint Powers Authority (JPA), this certificate will already be on file with our offices.
- Prepayment in one of the following acceptable formats. Field trips cannot be paid for by credit card or over the phone.
- Purchase Order (PO)
- Make the PO payable to: San Diego County Superintendent of Schools
- A single PO may be used to cover several field trips. Please ensure that the PO total matches the program price for the requested number of programs. Pricing information can be found on our website or provided upon request.
- Include the name, phone number, fax number, and email address for the individual(s) authorized to make reservations for the field trip(s) covered by the PO.
- Should an invoice be needed for creation of the PO, our staff can provide you with a mock invoice upon request. This invoice is expressly for the purposes of creating a purchase order and does not serve as confirmation of dates listed on the invoice.
- Email, fax, or mail your PO to the San Diego County Office of Education (SDCOE) Outdoor Education Program Office (see “d.” below).
- Upon receipt of the PO, our program staff will contact the individual(s) indicated on the PO to initiate the date selection process.
- Check or Money Order
- Make your check or money order payable to: San Diego County Superintendent of Schools
- Include a letter with your payment listing the name, phone number, fax number, and email address for the individual(s) authorized to make reservations for the field trip(s) covered by the payment.
- Mail your check or money order to the SDCOE Outdoor Education Program Office (see “d.” below).
- Upon receipt of payment, our program staff will contact the individual(s) indicated in the letter to initiate the date selection process.
- Personal Guarantee of Payment
- This option is only acceptable when options “a.” or “b.” cannot be accomplished. The form creates a guarantee of payment by the individual or organization signing the form. Only an authorized representative of an organization with signing powers may sign on behalf of an organization. Otherwise, the form will act as a personal guarantee.
- Complete the information on the Personal Guarantee of Payment form on the website, sign it, and mail it to the SDCOE Outdoor Education Office (see “d.” below).
- Upon receipt of the Personal Guarantee of Payment form, our program staff will contact the individual(s) indicated on the form to initiate the date selection process.
- SDCOE Outdoor Education Program Office contact information
- Our email address is firstname.lastname@example.org
- Our phone number is 858-290-5986
- Our fax number is 858-571-7206
- Our mailing address is:
San Diego County Office of Education
ATTN: Science Outreach
6401 Linda Vista Road
San Diego, CA 92111-7399
- Purchase Order (PO)
- Date Selection
- We will make every effort to call or email the primary contact upon receipt of all the proper documentation.
- If you believe we have received your documentation and you have not received an email or phone call, please feel free to contact us. Please give an appropriate amount of time for your documentation to be received by the SDCOE Outdoor Education Program Office prior to calling 858-290-5986.
- Although we will make every effort to accommodate requests for specific dates and times, receipt of a PO, prepayment, or payment guarantee form does not guarantee availability of you desired dates or times. The reservations are made on a “first-come, first-served” basis after the receipt of the completed required documents.
- A field trip may be cancelled or rescheduled without penalty providing the following conditions are met. You must provide written notification to the County of field trip 3 cancellation a minimum of twenty (20) working days in advance of the scheduled trip. Cancellation with less than twenty working days notification will result in a cancellation fee equal to fifty percent (50%) of the normal fee for the field trip event. Cancellation with less than five (5) days notice will result in a cancellation fee equal to one hundred percent (100%) of the normal fee for the field trip event. Once a date has been canceled, it will be immediately available for reassignment to another party.
Marine Floating Lab Slideshow