Transfers and Promotions for Classified Employees
- A transfer is an employee initiated movement of a permanent employee to another position in the same classification (or related classification) on the same range of the salary schedule.
- Human Resources will determine whether an employee’s current classification is considered “related” and/or if the employee meets the minimum requirements for the position.
- Current SDCOE employees may access the Lateral Transfer Request Form on Common Ground.
- A promotion is a change in the assignment of an employee from a position in one class to a position in another class with a higher maximum salary rate resulting from competition in an examination for the higher class.
- If a vacant position is listed as “promotional only,” there will be a competitive examination in which only qualified permanent employees of the SDCOE or individuals on an appropriate reemployment list may compete.
- If a vacant position is listed as “open/promotional,” it is open to the public and serves as a promotional opportunity for permanent employees of the SDCOE. Two eligibility lists will be established – one promotional and one open. The promotional eligibility list will be utilized before candidates from the open eligibility list are certified.
Employee Preference Points
- If a current SDCOE employee applies for a position that is not listed as promotional only or open/promotional, he/she will receive a credit of one-half point for each full six (6) months of paid service in regular status to a maximum of five (5) points.
- A permanent employee may request voluntary demotion to a class with a lower maximum salary rate and for which he/she is qualified.
- Such requests require the approval of the employee’s department head and that of the head of the department of which the employee is assigned.