Hiring Information for Classified Employees
Application for Employment
- All applications for employment shall be submitted online, completed as directed and filed on or before the filing deadline as specified.
- Applications may be rejected for inability to meet minimum qualifications for employment; previous dismissal from the classified service or resignation under charges; conviction of designated sex, controlled substance and serious/violent felony offenses; for providing false statements in application or for any of the causes listed in the Personnel Commission Rules & Regulations.
Equal Opportunity Employer
- The SDCOE is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, age, political affiliation, medical condition or disability.
- Reasonable accommodations are provided for disabled persons. Advance notice is necessary. Call 858-571-7254 for arrangements.
- When a vacancy exists at the SDCOE, the vacancy is filled through a competitive examination process. The position vacancy is posted in EDJOIN for a period of no less than ten (10) calendar days prior to the filing deadline.
- Generally, applications are prescreened within one week of the filing deadline.
- Those who pass the prescreening are invited to participate in the exam process. This may include a formal evaluation of the application materials, performance, written and/or oral test parts designed to assess the minimum qualifications and ability to perform the duties advertised for the position. Please note that oral examinations are recorded.
- Applicants are notified via email of their status.
- You may be eligible for an additional credit of five points (ten points for disabled veterans) on your exam score
- In order to obtain the credit, the applicant must furnish satisfactory proof of qualifying military service and discharge or release, under conditions other than dishonorable, at the examination.
- Candidates successfully completing all phases of the application and examination procedure will be ranked on the appropriate eligibility list according to total examination score.
- The lists are valid for six (6) months unless the list lacks sufficient ranks.
- When a vacant position is to be filled, we will provide the hiring manager with the names of the top three ranks from the eligibility list. In the case of ties, there may be more than three individuals in the top three ranks.
- The hiring manager may interview and select from among those applicants certified to him/her. However, they are not required to interview all.
- The names of those not selected will remain on the eligibility list.
- The salary range is shown on the job announcement and available on our salary schedule.
- Initial placement is based upon verification of the candidate’s immediately preceding regular, fulltime work experience.
- Employees advance on the salary schedule in accordance with Personnel Commission Rules & Regulations, and the employee contract.
- California State Law requires that all classified employees be fingerprinted and Employment is contingent upon fingerprint clearance.
- The employee must pay the required $49.00 fee which will be deducted from the employee’s first paycheck.
Preplacement Medical Examination
- Appointment and start date are contingent upon successful completion of a preplacement medical examination which includes a drug and alcohol screening and Tuberculosis exam.
Agency Fee Notice
- Upon employment, all classified support employees must either pay an agency fee OR join the Classified School Employees Association.
- The agency fee is 1.5% of salary per month to a maximum of $32.65 per month and is deducted from your check each month.
Oath of Allegiance
- New employees must sign and agree to abide by the provisions of the State of California Loyalty Oath.
- All classified support employees must satisfactorily complete a probationary period of six (6) months.
- The Office of Education provides excellent fringe benefit plans for regular employees including medical and life insurance plans, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave benefits.
- The normal work week is Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. for regular fulltime positions.
- If the hours differ greatly from that, it is normally indicated on the job bulletin.