Skip to main content

SDCOE Substitute Teacher Employment Information

Thank you for your interest in substitute teaching with the San Diego County Office of Education (SDCOE). Below is some helpful information about how to get started with substitute teaching within our school.​ 

Please note: The SDCOE substitute pool is ONLY for SDCOE managed sites. We do not provide substitute coverage for school districts and charter schools throughout San Diego County. If you are interested in working in other districts/charters within San Diego County, you must apply directly with them. If you have questions regarding their substitute hiring processes, please contact them directly. 

To become a substitute teacher with the SDCOE, you must first have a substitute teaching permit or higher credential authorizing you to work as a substitute teacher. If you do not currently hold a permit or credential, please follow the steps outlined for Substitute Teacher Requirements. If you need further information, please contact Credential Services at

  • You must fill out an online job application​ via during an active application window-- making sure to attach all necessary/requested documents, such as your credential, sub permit, and/or resume. 
  • A human resources staff member will screen your application to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications listed on the posting/job description.
  • Candidates passing the application screening process will be invited to participate in a screening interview conducted by the Juvenile Court and Community School (JCCS) administrators and/or Human Resources administrators.
  • Successful candidates will then be moved to the background and reference checks.
  • Upon successful completion of background and reference checks, candidates will be reached out to by our pre-employment team to complete all necessary pre-employment requirements.
  • Candidates will be notified of their status by email throughout the process.

Frequently Asked Questions

How will I be notified of substitute assignments?

The San Diego County Office of Education uses an automated substitute placement service called Absence Management (Formally AESOP)​. 

How do I access Absence Management (Formally AESOP)?

Once you have cleared the pre-employment process, you will receive an email notification containing your login ID and PIN number. Absence Management offers both phone and web services. You can call in to the Absence Management system toll-free at 1-800-942-3767 or log in at Absence Management (Formally AESOP). These options provide the flexibility to proactively search for jobs and fill your schedule the way you want. 

I've been added to the Absence Management (Formally AESOP) system but I have not received any calls regarding assignments. Why?

Lack of calls can occur for a few different reasons, but fortunately, you can check a few settings to ensure you maximize your opportunities to receive these calls.
District Availability 
As a general rule, keep in mind that a lack of calls may result from an overall lack of available jobs in the district. Even with your settings optimized, the number of available jobs can affect your call frequency.
Manage Call Times 
Your call time availability can potentially limit how often the system contacts you. We recommend you review your call time settings by accessing "Preferences" within your web account and selecting the Call Times option. 

Review School Settings
You can also reference your "Schools" section (found within "Preferences") to ensure your setup allows you to see jobs for multiple locations. 

What happens if my availability has changed, ex: I got a part-time job but still want to substitute on my days off, I am going on vacation, I substitute in multiple districts and have a few assignments coming up?

If your availability has changed, we ask that you enter "Non-Work Days" into the system. "Non-Work Days" indicate when you are not available to work as a substitute, and they inform the system to not offer you jobs on those days.

​To create a new non-work day, click the Add Non-Work Day button within your web account . This selection opens a window where you can enter your details.

If your availability changes again, no worries.. you are also able to remove your "Non-Work Days" from the system.

What happens if I want to substitute at other sites that I didn't indicate when I first applied or what if I don't want to work at a particular site?

A school preference list identifies the locations within a district where you do and do not want to work. You can manage your list by selecting the Preferences option in the side navigation. Click the checkboxes to identify the individual schools that you do or do not want to see (or click the All or None button to collectively add/remove all the locations in your list). 

Additionally, please contact the Substitute Desk to update your site preferences to ensure you are visible to your selected sites.

I have received notice that my credential has expired.  What do I do?

A current credential must be registered with the Credentials Department at the San Diego County Office of Education.  If a current credential is not registered, you may experience a delay in your paycheck and you will not be able to work until the credential is updated.

What if I have additional questions or need additional help regarding Absence Management (Formally AESOP) or my substitute employment application?

If you need additional assistance, please feel free to contact Lauren Saincome, Staffing Technician, by emailing or by calling (858) 295-8627.