Skip to main content

Regional Accreditation

The Commission can only accept course work and degrees completed at regionally accredited institutions.  Course work completed in states other than California is acceptable as long as the institution holds Regional Accreditation through one of the accrediting bodies listed below.

Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (MSA)

The Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU) (formerly Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges or NASC)

North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA)

New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc./Commission on Institutions of Higher Education (NEASC-CIHE)

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools/Commission on Colleges (SACS-CC)

Western Association of Schools and Colleges/Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior College (WASC-Jr.)

Western Association of Schools and Colleges/Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities (WASC-Sr.)


Unaccredited Institutions

Degrees submitted from non-regionally accredited institutions will not be accepted towards certification, even if a regionally accredited institution has given the individual graduate standing, except in the following two circumstances;

  • Degrees from non-regionally accredited institutions that were already accepted toward certification under the prior regulations.
  • Course work and degrees from non-regionally accredited institutions may be used toward specific credential requirements, if it is allowed by the statutes or regulations governing that credential.

Course work and degrees completed outside of the United States must be evaluated by a Commission-approved foreign transcript evaluation agency before it may be used for credentialing purposes.

Further detailed information regarding regionally accredited institutions can be found on the CTC website.

To determine the accreditation status of any college or university, the Commission uses a publication entitled Accredited Institutions of Postsecondary Education (AIPE) to verify accreditation.  You may visit the AIPE website at