Skip to main content

Substitute Teacher Requirements



Please bring the following items to either of our two locations:

1. Official Transcripts Showing Your Bachelor's Degree or Higher

The Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) does not accept electronic transcripts sent to the applicant. Transcripts must be from a regionally accredited college or university and must have your degree posted.  The transcripts can be open as long as they are on the original university water-colored p

aper. This will be returned to you. We will accept electronic transcripts only if they are sent to our email,, directly from the university. Diplomas, photocopies of transcripts, electronic transcripts sent to the student, and unofficial transcripts are NOT accepted.

2. Basic Skills Requirement

Generally, this is completion of the CBEST.  However, CTC does accept a number of other means to meet this requirement.  These are explained in the Basic Skills Requirement leaflet found on the CTC website.

3. Appropriate Fingerprinting (Click here for more information.)

CTC fingerprinting:  These fingerprints are required by CTC in order to grant you the substitute permit.  Bring a copy of the completed 41-LS form or a photocopy of your Certificate of Clearance.

Clearinghouse fingerprinting:  These fingerprints are required by most school districts in San Diego County to employ you as a sub teacher AND for SDCOE to issue you a Temporary County Certificate.  Bring a copy of the Clearinghouse fingerprint form.  Fingerprinting information can be found on our website here.

To apply for the Emergency 30-day Substitute Permit, please bring the above listed items to our office and one of our Credential Technicians will recommend you for the permit.  Then you will receive an email from CTC prompting you to complete the application and pay for the permit online with a credit or debit card.  You will leave our office with a receipt showing that you've begun the application process.



The substitute permit is valid for ONE calendar year.  It allows you to sub every day of the year, however, it does not allow you to sub in any long term assignments.  You may sub in one assignment for up to 30 days within the year. 


It is up to the district of employment if they utilize 30-day substitute permit holders.  A complete list of the school districts can be found on our website. You will contact the Human Resource Department in the district where you would like to work or you may search through the Ed-Join website.


If you have further questions or concerns, please contact a SDCOE Credential Technician at


Return to the main Credentials Page