Step 2: Complete and Collect:
- SDCOE Program Application - click on link and download the fillable .pdf
- CTC Credential Application - DO NOT FORWARD DATE THE 41-4.
- Verification of LiveScan fingerprinting – First time credential applicants only. If you hold a current credential or permit at the Commission on Teacher Credentialing, you do not need to be fingerprinted again.
- If you are employed in a San Diego County school district click here to make an appointment. You will also need to be fingerprinted for the Clearinghouse. Please print two copies of Clearinghouse Fingerprint Form.pdf and bring with you.
- Temporary County Certificate Application — Only for teachers at public school districts; contact your employer to obtain the correct form for your county of employment.
- NOTICE: Effective January 1, 2017, Assembly Bill 1918 will require a Certificate of Clearance on file at the Commission on Teacher Credentialing prior to activation of any Temporary County Certificates (TCC).
- Certificate of Clearance, applicants must complete LiveScan fingerprinting (41-LS) and then apply online at the Commission of Teachers Credentialing website. The fee for this document is $52.50. Once the Certificate of Clearance is granted, the applicant may apply for their regular credential/permit through our office and claim a $50 fee credit by submitting a copy of the Certificate of Clearance).
- AB 1505 was recently approved and will require all charter school teachers (credentialed or not) to have a state level background check (Certificate of Clearance) by July 1, 2020
- DS Candidate Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)
- High School Diploma or Equivalent Verification
- $100.00 cashier's check or money order payable to the CCTC
- Copy of CBEST Card or Basic Skills Requirement
- Official Transcripts – showing Bachelor's degree or higher AND relevant coursework. Please refer to regulations for required units.
General (non-academic) Subjects
Verification of three Years of Work Experience* (including Recency**)
- Verification of Employment – Letters on company letterhead, that contains; the relationship of the person signing the verification, beginning and ending dates of employment, complete description of job duties, and a statement as to whether or not the employment was full-time. If the employment was for less than full time, the letter needs to give an accounting of the number of hours worked.
Work experience templates are available for you to use if needed:
- Official Transcripts – showing relevant coursework (48 semester units equals two years of experience)
- Advanced Industry Certifications (can equal 1 year of experience)
- Verification of General Education Teaching Experience (can equal one year of experience)
*at least one year must be hands-on experience
**Recency = one year within the last five years, or two years within the last 10 years
Step 3: Turn in all documentation to your employer's Human Resources Credential Technician. They will mail the packet to our Credentials Office for processing.
DO NOT SCAN AND EMAIL APPLICATIONS. SDCOE CANNOT ACCEPT SCANNED APPLICATIONS DUE TO THE SENSITIVE PERSONAL INFORMATION.
SDCOE Designated Subjects
6401 Linda Vista Rd., Ste. 103
San Diego, CA 92111
If at any time you have questions about this application process, please contact the credential technician at your employing school district. Collect all application materials. Apply early, usual processing time is about 4 weeks after our office receives your application. We cannot expedite applications.