Program Mission Statement
The program's purpose is to provide a safe environment which supports teachers as they grow in their professional practice and transform into lifelong, reflective practitioners. SDCOE Teacher Induction endeavors to build upon teacher preparation experiences and expand skill levels in the ability to reflect on student progress and instructional strategies.
The San Diego County Office of Education offers a two-year commission approved program to teachers seeking to clear their preliminary credential. California Teacher Induction is a State-led program in conjunction with the California Department of Education (CDE) and the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC). California Teacher Induction programs are locally designed and implemented.
The 2021-2022 Teacher Induction program interest list is linked here:
- Completing the Interest List is the first step in participating in SDCOE's teacher induction program.
- The intent of the SDCOE Teacher Induction program is that it begins in the teacher's first year of teaching
- SDCOE does not recommend or encourage teachers to concurrently enroll in Induction and a Masters program.
We offer the following California Clear Credential programs
- Ed Specialist
- Multiple Subject
- Single Subject
- Two years
- Early Completion Option (ECO) information is located in the Helpful Links area, in the upper right corner.
Program enrollment requirements include
- Possession of a Level 1 or preliminary credential with induction as a renewal requirement.
- Currently employed and working with a core group of students throughout the school year. SDCOE does not accept day to day substitute teachers in the Induction program.
- Agreement with employing school or district. Tuition will be determined by the agreement.
- A mentor provided by the employing school or district.
Those enrolled in the program will receive
- Two years of ongoing support by an experienced, trained Mentor. Ideally beginning in the first year of teaching.
- Individualized, job-embedded system of mentoring and support to build a reflective teaching practice, based on the candidates professional growth goal and evidence collected on the Individualized Learning Plan (ILP)
If the Teacher Candidate is paying out of pocket:
- $2,500 per year
- $3,500 if the teacher qualifies for the Early Completion Option. (See quick link at top right of page.)
- If the district or school is compensating the Mentor, the cost is significantly reduced.
- $1,000 per year for the 2-year and ECO program
We accept payment through credit card only. The amount can be paid in full or through five installments.
Please contact your district's human resources office to determine your cost. Some districts may assist with payment.
The San Diego County Office of Education does not discriminate on the basis of harassment, intimidation, bullying, sex, gender, or sexual orientation in its education programs or activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex, gender, or sexual orientation in employment, and protects all people regardless of their gender or gender identity from sex discrimination, which includes sexual harassment and sexual violence.