Skip to main content

Grade Change Policy Requirements (AB 104)

Assembly Bill 104, which was signed into law on July 1, 2021, contains three major provisions dealing with retention, grading, and graduation policies. 

The bill's provision relating to grading allows high school students to change their letter grades to a pass or no pass grade on their transcripts for the 2020-21 school year. The materials below will assist families in determining whether the pass/no pass grading option is right for their student and to make the request. 

These grade change template and list of institutions that accept transcripts with pass/no pass grades can also be found on the CDE website. Some postsecondary institutions, including those in other states, may not accept a pass/no pass grade for admissions. If you have questions about a specific institution’s policy, we recommend you reach out directly to them.   

Both the California State University (CSU) and University of California (UC) systems have issued guidance on how they will handle admissions and GPA calculations for transcripts with pass or no pass grades. AB 104 requires CSU schools, and encourages UC and private postsecondary schools, to accept without prejudice any transcripts with pass/no pass grades.

Students will have 15 days from the day they receive notification from their school to request a grade change. AB 104 states that local educational agencies shall not honor grade change requests after 15 days. Local educational agencies will have 15 days from the day the grade change application is received to change the transcript and notify the pupil and the pupil's parent/guardian of the change.

If you have any questions about this policy, please contact your school.