The California Youth Act (AB 329) changes Ed Code to require that students receive comprehensive sexual health education, in addition to HIV/STD instruction at least once in middle school and once in high school.
Ed Code language also requires:
- Age appropriate, medically accurate and appropriate instruction for all students
- Focus on healthy attitudes, healthy behaviors and healthy relationships
- Inclusion of adolescent relationship abuse and sex trafficking
- Materials and instruction appropriate for students of all sexual orientations and genders, affirmatively recognizing different sexual orientations that is inclusive of same-sex relationships
- Instruction reflects updated research and understanding of HIV
- Districts may not require active (opt-in) consent, but can use passive consent for parents to opt students out
Resources:Join Our Mailing List
Contact Paige Metz to network with other Physical Education Teachers and receive our Health and Physical Education Monthly Updates.