We're now 100 percent digital, making the resources, tips, and links you appreciate even easier to access. This change comes at a time when the primary outcome of our work is changing. Health and physical educators are now tasked with developing students' health and physical literacies. For many of us, this is new territory. I'd love to hear your feedback, so we can continue to make this service even more helpful for you.
Love what you read? Sign up to receive the monthly update in your inbox the first week of the month.
Health and Physical Education Monthly Updates
Most Valuable Person, Program or Practice
June 2018 MVP: San Diego Region CAHPERD Teachers of the Year, Kasey Galik and Dennis Gildehaus
Two deserving teachers were recognized as Teachers of the Year at the 2018 End-of-Year Social and Awards in Pacific Beach, sponsored by San Diego Region CAHPERD.
Kasey Galik, an adapted physical education teacher from San Dieguito Union High School District, received recognition as the 2018 Adapted Physical Education Teacher of the Year. Kasey offers a class that blends general education and adapted students and is a model for other schools. She also runs a series of inter-district tournaments and track meets and is a true inspiration for both students and peers. Since Kasey was not able to attend, the award was accepted by her student Bridget Cuneo, who talked about how her teacher has helped her run for 20 minutes without stopping!
Dennis Gildehaus of Pacific Beach Middle School was recognized as the 2018 Secondary Physical Education Teacher of the Year. While Dennis is a consummate professional who truly brings physical literacy to life for his students, perhaps his greatest attribute is being a leader in the profession. Dennis regularly opens his class for people to observe, has donated hundreds of hours to the professional learning of others, has played a key role in the development of the Fit 2 Learn Fit 4 Life website, has been instrumental in the implementation of technology in physical education, helps coordinate the California Middle School Physical Education Workshop, and is always willing to help so students can benefit!
- May 2018: SDCOE Health & Physical Education Advisory Superheroes
- April 2018: Kasey De La Cruz and Shannon Moreno (Valhalla High School)
- March 2018: Michelle Bell (San Diego Unified School District)
- February 2018: Peer Evaluations
- January 2018: Schools & After-Schools Domain of the San Diego County Childhood Obesity Initiative
- December 2017: Lynn Barnes-Wallace (San Diego Unified School District)
- November 2017: Melissa Beninger and Tamara Miller (San Marcos Unified School District)
- October 2017: Alice Birney and Rosa Parks Elementary School (San Diego Unified School District)
- September 2017: Communicating the student learning outcome
- August 2017: Jamila Demby (Chula Vista School District)
- June 2017: Christopher Ahrens (San Diego Unified School District)
- May 2017: Robin Carby
- April 2017: Dennis Gildehaus
- March 2017: Cindi Elrod