We're now 100 percent digital, making the resources, tips, and links you appreciate even easier to access. This change comes at a time when the primary outcome of our work is changing. Health and physical educators are now tasked with developing students' health and physical literacies. For many of us, this is new territory. I'd love to hear your feedback, so we can continue to make this service even more helpful for you.
Love what you read? Sign up to receive the monthly update in your inbox the first week of the month.
Health and Physical Education Monthly Updates
Most Valuable Person, Program, or Practice
Check out this month's Health and Physical Education Monthly Update for the latest Most Valuable Person, Program, or Practice.
September 2018 MVPs: Westview Exercise and Nutritional Science Department
Each spring, the Exercise and Nutritional Science (ENS) Department at Westview High School in the Poway Unified School District puts on a triathlon for the freshman class. Each student completes a 300-meter swim, 2.5-mile bike ride, and 1.5-mile run as a capstone event for the year. To prepare for the triathlon, students engage in goal-setting and apply training principles throughout the year to build the skills and endurance they need navigate the course. The triathlon is also the primary fundraiser for the department and has enabled them to provide students with a state of the art experience in each ENS class. It is the highlight of the year! Kids have a blast! Want more information? Check out the informational video.
- June 2018: San Diego Region CAHPERD Teachers of the Year, Kasey Galik and Dennis Gidehaus
- May 2018: SDCOE Health & Physical Education Advisory Superheroes
- April 2018: Kasey De La Cruz and Shannon Moreno (Valhalla High School)
- March 2018: Michelle Bell (San Diego Unified School District)
- February 2018: Peer Evaluations
- January 2018: Schools and After-Schools Domain of the San Diego County Childhood Obesity Initiative
- December 2017: Lynn Barnes-Wallace (San Diego Unified School District)
- November 2017: Melissa Beninger and Tamara Miller (San Marcos Unified School District)
- October 2017: Alice Birney and Rosa Parks Elementary School (San Diego Unified School District)
- September 2017: Communicating the student learning outcome
- August 2017: Jamila Demby (Chula Vista School District)
- June 2017: Christopher Ahrens (San Diego Unified School District)
- May 2017: Robin Carby
- April 2017: Dennis Gildehaus
- March 2017: Cindi Elrod