Don’t Miss the San Diego County Office of Education's (SDCOE) Health and Physical Education Professional Learning!
SDCOE is excited to announce the following 2020-21 professional learning events. To learn more, and register, click on the dates for each event.
CA Health Education Framework (HEF) is Here!
SDCOE is happy to announce the California Health Education Framework! Our comprehensive rollout includes:
Health and Physical Education Hangouts
Every 1st and 3rd Wednesday, SDCOE is hosts a hangout for health and physical educators from 3 to 4 p.m. Use this
Hangout Zoom Link to join the conversation to discuss:
- Critical information related to health and physical education
- Resources available to support distance and in-person learning
- Sharing of best practices
- Opportunity to ask questions and connect with other health and physical educators
- Grade Span Collaboration Meetings are held immediately following the Hangouts from 4 to 5 p.m.
A number of organizations are in the process of writing curricula to support distance learning for the 2020-21 school year that is designed to increase rigor and student learning. Below is a link to preliminary resources.
SDCOE Distance Learning Units of Study: SDCOE has released DRAFTS of the first few Units of Study. Featured units will be edited/updated in August. Additional units are in production. Units are designed so that teachers can “cut and paste” content into any learning management system (Canvas, Google Classroom, etc). Check back regularly as content is constantly being added. Units of Study include:
K-5 Integrated Units: Features health and physical education sub-modules that are integrated with other content areas. Grade level physical education (fitness and skill) addendum units are in production and will be posted soon!
6-8 Thematic Units Featuring the 4 Cs: Initial drafts of units focused on Communication are posted for grades 6, 7 and 8. Look for upcoming units on Creativity, Critical Thinking and Collaboration.
9-12 Thematic Units by Course: Still in production. Check back soon!
- For easy access, and a description of content, check out the
Health and Physical Education Guide to SDCOE Distance Learning Units
OPENPhysEd.org is actively writing/updating resources to support distance learning including curriculum and professional learning. Keep checking back as resources are added regularly.
Additional curricula will be released in August. Curriculum resources will be posted on the
SDCOE Health and Physical Education Webpage as they are available.
California Department of Education (CDE) Posts Guidance for Physical Education
CDE has posted guidance re: Executive Order N-56-20 and on the Suspension of FITNESSGRAM on the
CDE Physical Education FAQs page. There two critical pieces of guidance include:
- The suspension of FITNESSGRAM for the 2020-21 school year means that current 9th grade students will not be eligible for a 2-year exemption for physical education until they have completed 10th grade and are 16 years of age or older. As a result, all current 9th graders should register for physical education for 10th grade during the 2021-22 school year.
- Although the minute requirements for physical education have been waived during school closures, physical education requirements have not changed. LEAs are still required to provide instruction and should provide distance learning options to students.
CDE Physical Education FAQs page for complete language. Please contact Paige Metz at
firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or would like further clarification.
SDCOE Health and Physical Education Support and Resources
Paige Metz for more information.
Find Out More Information About:Join Our Mailing List
Paige Metz to network with other Physical Education Teachers and receive our
Health and Physical Education Monthly Updates.
Fit 2 Learn, Fit 4 Life
Visit Fit 2 Learn, Fit 4 Life website to access resources for standards-based, Common Core aligned, high activity Physical Education.