School counselors have a critical role in our schools, especially now with Local Control and Accountability Plans (LCAPs) focused on college and career readiness and the important work of equity for our students.
Through SDCOE, you can:
professional learning tailored to your unique needs
with other school counselors
Gain valuable resources for you, your students, and your colleagues by utilizing our Resource Quick Links
Upcoming Professional Learning
Join a cohort of credentialed school counselors who are getting familiar with their new roles.
Counselors working in K-12 schools for three years or less can grow and learn through the year with peer networking, coaching, and direct training that aligns with the American School Counselor Association (ASCA) Mindsets and Behavior Standards in the areas of academic, career, and social and emotional development.
Topics across the six sessions align with Local Control and Accountability Plan (LCAP) state priorities.
In the New School Counselor Leadership Institute, you will:
- Be supported by two SDCOE divisions: Learning and Leadership Services and Student Services and Programs
- Receive six full days of professional learning provided by experts in the field and certified trainers
- Gain valuable knowledge in topics that directly affect your daily work with students
- Be equipped to promote mindsets and behaviors that enhance the learning process and create a culture of college and career readiness for all students
- Attend the School Counselor Leadership Conference in February
- Grow with two-hours of individual coaching at your school site
- Nov. 7, 2019
- Dec. 6, 2019
- Feb. 13, 2020 (Conference)
- March 13, 2020
- April 17, 2020
- May 15, 2020
UC - CSU Highlights Conference
Can’t make it to the University of California or California State University this fall? Don’t worry! You can attend a highlights day in San Diego organized by the SDCOE School Counselor team. Get updates from the state university systems directly from their representatives and have your questions answered in-person.
The highlights day is a local event that fits your needs:
- Designed for high school counselors and administrators and community and college access partners
- Gain valuable insights into admissions, financial aid, and more
- Get the latest on college readiness, access, and education policies
Registration Link: http://sdcoe.k12oms.org/894-174050
Institute Dates: Oct. 9, 2019
Times: 8 a.m. - 12 noon
- 8 a.m. Registration
- 8:15 a.m. - 10 a.m. (UC Highlights)
- 10 a.m. - 10:15 a.m. (Break)
- 10:15 a.m. - 12 noon (CSU Highlights)
Cost: Cost $15 per person
Previous School Counselor Leadership Conference Resources