California has made a series of major shifts in public education with one goal: To improve learning so every student can be successful in school, college, work, and life. Our state is raising the bar and setting high expectations for all students; empowering parents, students, and school communities; and changing the way it evaluates and supports schools. Using more than just a single number or test score, the state’s new accountability system aims to confront the gaps for student groups that can be hidden within student averages.
The state system of support connects the California School Dashboard, Local Control and Accountability Plans (LCAP), Differentiated Assistance, and federal Comprehensive Support and Improvement (CSI) together to focus on local control and ensure students benefit. View and download the Systems Centered on Supporting All Students document.
SDCOE as a Partner
The San Diego County Office of Education (SDCOE) continues to be a partner to LEAs by providing support to LEAs eligible for Differentiated Assistance, LEAs with schools identified for CSI, and all LEAs through network meetings, newsletters, and LCAP review and approval.
A Consistent Approach
The improvement science specialists at SDCOE have developed a series of supports for LEAs that includes institutes and professional learning networks (PLNs). The timing of the Differentiated Assistance supports fits in with the LEA's LCAP timeline.
The institutes maximize the time and set a foundation for the work that is done during the PLN.
- Dashboard analysis
- Review performance on state indicators
- Develop an inquiry stance to promote further exploration
- Identify additional information to inform continuous improvement efforts
System Analysis PLN
- Join cohort of LEAs with similar grades served or needs
- Discuss data findings
- Perform system analysis
- Review effective practices that support goals and continuous improvement
Root Cause Institute
- Use deeper inquiry of a single area of need
- Identify root cause and contributing factors to strengths and weaknesses
Synthesis of Findings PLN
- Agree upon findings for performance and system strengths and weaknesses.
- Summarize the findings determined by deeper inquiry of a single area
- Reference effective evidence-based programs aligned to goals
- Consolidate learning and findings
SDCOE will support all LEAs to transform public education and guarantee high levels of student achievement. SDCOE’s leaders, coaches, and educators are ready with a learning stance to embrace the new accountability culture and collaborate with LEAs to build a system that works for all students.