Students from throughout the county were recognized recently for their work in career technical education classes.
There were 20 students honored May 21 at the local California Association of Regional Occupational Centers and Programs awards program, organized by the San Diego County Office of Education. Six received scholarships and 14 were named Distinguished ROP Students.
The event kicked off with a "Taste of ROP" reception prepared by students in local culinary arts programs.
Josue Lopez from the Grossmont Union High School District, Ryan Hall from Ramona Unified School District and Rodolfo Lopez from Vista Unified School District all received Bridgestone/Firestone Auto Scholarship Awards, which are given to students who demonstrate exceptional potential in the automotive industry.
Brandon Rodriguez-Maldonado, Daniel Kcomt, and Austin Samuel Hayward, all of the San Diego Unified School District received Kelly McGinnis Memorial Foundation Awards.
Distinguished ROP Student Award Winners:
- Jenna Keith, Carlsbad Unified School District, Photography II
- Abbey Workman, Coronado Unified School District, Professional Musical Theatre
- Eddie Ramirez, Escondido Union High School District, ROP General Construction
- Colleen Hill, Fallbrook Union High School District, ROP Child Care Careers
- Casey Lind, Grossmont Union High School District, Culinary Arts
- Rodney Dodson, Juvenile Courts and Community Schools, ROP Culinary Arts
- Paloma Perpuly, Mountain Empire Unified School District, Media Support and Services
- Jayden Eugenio, Oceanside Unified School District, Graphic Design
- Garrett Barton, Poway Unified School District, Veterinary Science
- Carolyn Buggeln, Ramona Unified School District, Culinary Arts
- Dillon Hoban, San Dieguito Union High School District, Engineering Principles and Architectural Design
- Ellie Arnold, San Marcos Unified School District, Health Essentials II
- Cynthia Diaz, Vista Unified School District, Virtual Enterprise
- Ernesto Reyes, Warner Unified School District, Agricultural Mechanics