More than 26,000 are expected to attend the 10th annual San Diego Festival of Science & Engineering's signature Expo Day at Petco Park this Saturday, March 3 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Expo Day transforms the baseball stadium into one of the largest one-day science expos in the United States. The one-day-only event features more than 130 exhibits with hands-on learning activities and experiments to inspire kids of all ages. Admission is free.
"Expo Day makes learning fun," said Sara Pagano, managing director of the San Diego Festival of Science & Engineering. "It's a chance to encourage and engage kids and adults in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education, and to increase our region's reputation of being a leader in the science industry. It's an opportunity to interact with some of the brightest minds at global companies and research institutions headquartered here in San Diego, such as Illumina, Qualcomm, ViaSat, Hologic, Cubic, Cymer, Thermo Fisher Scientific, and Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute."
"The San Diego County Office of Education is proud to sponsor the San Diego Festival of Science & Engineering," said County Superintendent of Schools Dr. Paul Gothold. "We hope that Expo Day and festival events will ignite the spark for students that will inspire a path to a STEM career and join the workforce right here in our region."
To expand the general public's understanding of the relevancy of science and engineering in everyday lives, The Expo will bring back old favorites as well as a number of new features, including:
U.S. Air Force Rapid Strike Simulator: Ever wonder what it's like to soar the sky on a down-range Air Force mission? Expo Day and Festival Week will feature the U.S. Air Force Recruiting Service's Rapid Strike Simulator, a state-of-the-art flight simulator that showcases the intricacy and capability of modern American airpower.
- Healthy Lifestyles Area: New year, new you! Visit this booth area in Park at the Park to learn more about the science of healthy living. From exercise to healthy eating habits, this new area will teach festival-goers all they need to know about living a healthy lifestyle.
- Pre-K Zone: Inspire even the tiniest innovators to ignite their love for science! Presented by STEAM Maker Workshop and Children's Discovery Museum, the Pre-K Zone will give children under 5 an opportunity to participate in STEAM-related activities. Visit the Pre-K Zone to excite your tiny future innovators.
- TEDxKids@ElCajon Take the Stage: Hear some inventive ideas from some of tomorrow's future movers and shakers. You'll laugh, smile and be proud of the skills these students are learning in public speaking, and leadership. Organized by the Cajon Valley Union School District, these TEDx talks offer a unique platform for students to share their ideas. Connect with our future leaders and leave inspired.
- Bright Idea Society Alley – Powered By ViaSat, Inc.: Bright Idea Society award winners will all be gathered together in their own row inside Park at the Park! The 2018 winners include The Preuss School, UCSD, Thrive Public School, San Diego Academy of Art & Science, Ramses Lara, Hayden Loarie, and Hunter Mellinger. The Bright Idea Society recognizes individuals (new this year) and groups at the elementary, middle, and high school levels. Visit their activity booths and let these fascinating young minds, teach you about science!
- League of Extraordinary Scientists (LXS): Join some of the brightest minds in San Diego County at the Mercado area in PETCO Park. Have questions about entymology, nano tech, artificial intelligence, genomics, oceanography, science or astronomy? Listen and engage with scientists from San Diego companies and organizations that are active in their industries at a fireside chat. Be sure to also stay for the LXS Science Tour, which offers hands-on activities for scientists of all ages.
- Extra Credit Adventure: Teachers, encourage your students to explore STEM by rewarding extra credit for attending Expo Day! Download the Expo Day Extra Credit worksheet in advance or stop by the booth presented by UCSD Begs Outreach located near the fireside chats in the Mercado area.
- The Curiosity Cube: Recognizing that tomorrow's discoveries depend on the next generation of scientists—and that breakthroughs begin with curiosity—The Curiosity Cube™ is a 22x10-foot, retrofitted shipping container that has been transformed into a mobile science lab. Equipped with the latest technology, the Curiosity Cube™ provides a learning environment that allows visitors of all ages to become immersed in specific science topics—from learning about how DNA works to building their own, custom microbe using a 3D printer.
- EXPO DAY Stage Performances: Everyone's favorite math rappers – The Music Notes – return to Expo Day this year. Through rhythm and rhyme they break down math concepts from simple addition to advanced algebra. Fleet Science Center, General Atomics, Mad Science and others captivate audiences with explosive STEM fun. The experts at Ecovivarium give guests an up close and personal experience to reptiles who call Southern California home.
"The Festival of Science & Engineering is chock full of opportunities for kids and grownups alike to engage in activities that break down some of the most complex subjects into simpler ways of understanding," said San Diego County Board of Education President Guadalupe Gonzalez. "I hope the community will come out to take advantage of the many events being held across the county."
Expo Day is the debut event of the annual week-long San Diego Festival of Science & Engineering (March 3 to 11, 2018), presented by the Illumina Foundation and a program of the nonprofit Biocom Institute. More than 65,000 people are expected to attend the Expo and festival week events this year. Details are available at www.lovestemsd.org.