The San Diego County Board of Education (County Board) and the County Superintendent of Schools are currently seeking candidates interested in being appointed to the San Diego County Office of Education (SDCOE) Personnel Commission. Letters of interest for appointment to the Personnel Commission are currently being accepted for the County Board/Superintendent-appointed personnel commissioner. The term of office will commence Dec. 1, 2018, at noon, and expire Dec. 1, 2021, at noon. The County Board/superintendent-appointed commissioner will assume office at the regularly scheduled Personnel Commission meeting on Dec. 19, 2018.
The Personnel Commission is a public body responsible for the administration of a merit system, which governs the selection, retention, and promotion of classified (non-teaching) employees in the public school system. It is composed of three members from the local community appointed for three-year terms with the term of one member expiring each year.
The County Board/superintendent appoints one member to the Personnel Commission. The classified employees of SDCOE nominate one member to the Personnel Commission, who is then appointed by the County Board. The two members of the Personnel Commission then appoint a third member. Each Personnel Commissioner receives $50 for each meeting attended. Personnel Commission meetings are normally held on the third Wedneday of the month at 9 a.m. at SDCOE’s main campus in Linda Vista.
To qualify as a personnel commissioner, you must meet all of the following criteria:
- Be a registered voter and resident within San Diego County
- Be a known adherent to the principles of the merit system and support the concept of employment, continuance in employment, in-service promotional opportunities, and other related matters on the basis of merit and fitness
- Not be a member of the governing board of any school district or county board of education or an employee of SDCOE
Letters of interest, no more than two pages in length, should be sent to Dr. Olivier Wong Ah Sun, assistant superintendent, Human Resources, 6401 Linda Vista Road, San Diego, CA 92111. Letters shall include:
- Reason for interest in position
- Qualifications for the apointment and experience
- Participation in district and community activities
Letters must be received by 4 p.m. Friday, Aug. 31, 2018.
For More Information
If you have questions regarding this process or questions regarding the activities and responsibilities of the Personnel Commission, please contact Dr. Olivier Wong Ah Sun, assistant superintendent, Human Resources, at 858-292-3662 or by email.