The air was full of excitement at Legoland California as the Teachers Are Heroes honorees were feted by the San Diego County Office of Education, Entercom Communications (home of KSON, FM 94.9, and Sunny 98.1), and Azusa Pacific University. Hundreds of students, parents, and teachers filled the 4D Theater in the resort's Imagination Zone, showing off their school spirit and cheering on the 12 educators – out of the 22,000 teachers in San Diego County – who were selected for the award.
- Michelle Klim, a 2nd grade teacher at Old Town Academy
- Victoria Jones, an educational coach at W.D. Hall Elementary School
- Shani Dillon, a 4th and 5th grade teacher at Lakeview Elementary School
- Michael Potts, a 5th grade teacher at South Oceanside Elementary School
- Rosanna O'Donnell, a 3rd grade teacher at Vista Square Elementary School
- Michelle Juarez, a transitional kindergarten and kindergarten teacher at La Presa Elementary School
- Sonia Hernandez, a special education teacher at Oneonta Elementary School
- Michelle Magaña, a kindergarten teacher at Creekside Elementary School
- Stephanie Ferreira, a 5th grade teacher at Maie Ellis Elementary School
- Beth Saltzman, a 1st grade teacher at Rancho Elementary School
- Heather Walker, a 2nd grade teacher at Torrey Pines Elementary School
- Ken Butler, a 4th and 5th grade teacher at T.H.E. Leadership Academy
Now in its 17th year, Teachers are Heroes recognizes dedicated and inspirational elementary school teachers across San Diego County. Twelve times during the school year, the Teachers are Heroes team surprises amazing K-5 teachers across the county. Recognized teachers receive a gift card for classroom supplies, a classroom lunch party from Sombrero Mexican Food, and other fun incentives, including an end-of-year celebration at Legoland California for their entire classroom.
Every year, more than 150 nomination letters are submitted to the Selection Committee. Each letter is carefully reviewed utilizing criteria on how a teacher displays inspiration, enthusiasm, and service, and is respected by students, teachers, colleagues, and parents.
Learn more about the program and submit a nomination. Self-nominations are not accepted.