This story was updated March 11 to reflect that Japan (Level 2 Health Notice country) is not included in this guidance at this time.
As we monitor the 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19) situation in San Diego County, we wanted to provide you with this important update that could impact families as we approach spring break.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued new guidance (as of March 5) for people who have traveled to countries with widespread, ongoing transmission of COVID-19.
At this time, people who have traveled to China, Iran, Italy, or South Korea (Level 3 Travel Health Notice countries) are asked to stay home for 14 days from the time you left an area with widespread, ongoing community spread, and practice social distancing.
Specifically, the CDC advises people who have traveled to these countries to monitor their health and practice social distancing, which includes:
- Take your temperature with a thermometer two times a day and monitor for fever. Also watch for cough or trouble breathing.
- Stay home and avoid contact with others. Do not go to work or school for this 14-day period. Discuss your work situation with your employer before returning to work.
- Do not take public transportation, taxis, or ride-shares during the time you are practicing social distancing.
- Avoid crowded places (such as shopping centers and movie theaters) and limit your activities in public.
- Keep your distance from others (about 6 feet or 2 meters).
The CDC currently recommends that individuals avoid all nonessential travel to China, Iran, Italy, and South Korea and recommends older adults or those with chronic medical conditions postpone travel to Japan. If you or your child must travel to one of these countries, please follow the above guidelines upon your return. Please contact your child’s school ahead of time to determine what options exist for your child to continue their studies while at home.
The San Diego County Office of Education will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates as necessary.