The Fallbrook Union Elementary School District (FUESD) is proud and excited to announce Fallbrook Street School has been re-named Fallbrook STEM Academy to capitalize on the transformational shift toward hands-on, integrated teaching and learning that is inherent in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) education. The school, which is in its second year as a STEM magnet school, seeks to energize teaching and learning in order to equip every student with the skills needed to create exciting futures.
Fallbrook STEM Academy principal Joe Kniseley said, “This name change will enhance our school’s reputation and recognition as a school that is preparing our students to become innovators, scholars, and leaders in their school and community. Also, Fallbrook STEM Academy more accurately reflects the school’s mission and vision, and we are incredibly excited for an outstanding 2018-19 school year.”
Kniseley explained that there are seven distinct ways Fallbrook STEM Academy is a unique school of choice in FUESD:
- Throughout the year, every student is actively engaged in four integrated standards-driven, project-based learning units. These units of study culminate with a student-created project and are presented to family and community members.
- Every student visits the school's Innovation Lab throughout their units of study to actively engage in hands-on, exploratory learning.
- Every student dedicates a minimum of 30 minutes a week to coding and robotics in the media center.
- Every student participates in a weekly hour called “Bobcat Block” that engages the whole school in areas of personalized learning and cross-grade collaboration. Students (in collaboration with community members) focus on passion projects, genius hour, and/or social entrepreneurship.
- Every student in K-6 has their own personal Chromebook.
- Students in 3rd-6th grade are allowed and encouraged to take their Chromebooks home.
- Fallbrook STEM Academy is the only school in California to have a unique STEMformation partnership with Discovery Education.