Congratulations to Ofelia Lopez-Villamar, the San Diego County Classified School Employee of the Year!
Lopez-Villamar is a school office assistant at Jefferson Elementary School in the Carlsbad Unified School District.
"We celebrate Ofelia and all her fellow nominees, who work tirelessly to ensure students have what they need and deserve to succeed," said San Diego County Superintendent of Schools Dr. Paul Gothold. "The key roles they play in the day-to-day functions of schools are as important as ever as we adjust to life during the pandemic."
The San Diego County Office of Education runs the countywide Classified School Employee of the Year program to recognize the work that these vital employees do every day.
In addition to Lopez-Villamar's regular office duties, she helps families navigate the educational system, translates documents, helps with appointments, teaches families how to use technology, and helps ensure that all COVID-19 protocols are in place.
"I have witnessed firsthand the contributions she makes to Jefferson on a daily basis," Principal Carla Bos wrote in her nomination letter. "I also hear the consistent praise and compliments she receives."
Lopez-Villamar attended Jefferson Elementary as a child and still lives in the neighborhood where the school is. She has built strong relationships with the families in the Carlsbad community and they frequently comment on her dedication, efficiency, confidentiality, and support.
The countywide Classified School Employee of the Year program recognizes employees in the following occupational specialties: paraprofessional, clerical and administrative services,
transportation services, food and nutrition services, custodial and maintenance services, security services, health and student services, and technical services. A nomination committee made up of classified employees from throughout the county selects the winner.
Lopez-Villamar now moves on to the state-level program for possible recognition by the California Department of Education.
Congratulations to all the district employees of the year who were nominated for the county level!
- Keely Pacheco, Bonsall Elementary School, Bonsall Unified School District, attendance clerk
- Lawrence Laborte, Cajon Valley Union School District, delivery driver/warehouse
- Traci Orth, Coronado Unified School District, IT technician
- Will Brown, Ocean Knoll Elementary School, Encinitas Union School District, site custodian
- Juan Vargas, Del Lago Academy, Escondido Union School District, assistant principal secretary
- Karen Bales, Reidy Creek Elementary School, Escondido Union School District, special education paraeducator
- Jennifer Balbier, Fallbrook Union Elementary School District, cafeteria assistant
- Joan Tilley, El Cajon Valley High School, Grossmont Union High School District, library technician
- Tamia Callen, STEAM Academy at La Presa, La Mesa-Spring Valley School District, school office manager
- Joel Mendoza, National School District, child nutrition services buyer/storekeeper
- Ma. Regina Basanes, Foussat Elementary School, Oceanside Unified School District, paraprofessional
- Pauline Moroz, Poway Unified School District, grant administration specialist
- Linda Phillips-Dodson, Ramon Community Campus, Ramona Unified School District, secretary
- Mark Bandala, San Diego County Office of Education, system support technician
- Ana Maria Ochoa, San Dieguito Union High School District, bus driver trainer
- Jonathan Bailey, Leichtag Elementary School, San Marcos Unified School District, system support technician
- Steven Bostrom Jr., San Pasqual Union School District, maintenance/transportation
- Adriana Garcia, La Mirada Elementary School, San Ysidro School District, outreach sonsultant
- Tracey Paroah-Stone, Pepper Drive Elementary School, Santee School District, school attendance clerk
- Eleazar Galindo, Solana Pacific School, Solana Beach School District, custodian/plant foreman
- Veronica Plummer, Sweetwater Union High School District, budget position control analyst
- Nick Henry, Alamosa Park Elementary School, Vista Unified School District, plant lead