Refugee and Immigrant Newcomer Families
Resettlement/ Refugee Service Organizations
There are several organizations that can help families access food, transportation, legal documents, and public assistance.
Embassies and Consulate Offices
Embassies and consulates can provide assistance to their national citizens abroad, but the level of help may differ by country. Visit your embassy website for access to specific services.
- Consulate General of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan (Los Angeles, serves San Diego)
- Consulate General of the Republic of Haiti (Chicago, serves all of California)
- The Embassy of the Federal Republic of Somalia (Washington D.C., serving all USA)
- Consulate General of the Republic of Iraq in Los Angeles (serves San Diego County)
- Consulado General de México en San Diego
English As A Second Language (ESL) Classes for Adults
Several organizations provide free classes for adults interested in learning English. They are offered for different levels of expertise (beginner to advanced) and are available in the morning, afternoon, and night.