Foster Youth and Homeless Education
Resources for San Diego County districts and schools working with students who are in foster care and/or experiencing homelessness.
Trauma Informed Practices for Schools
- A Guide to Understanding and Coping with Compassion Fatigue - This resource describes how actively paying attention to what's going on at home and abroad can help ensure you are an informed citizen who is well positioned to lend a helping hand when needed.
- Calmer Classrooms: A Guide to Working with Traumatized Children- This informational booklet provides teachers and educators with tools to effectively work with students impacted by trauma, particularly those who have experienced abuse and neglect. Includes strategies involving relationship-based approaches to handle conflicts in classroom settings.
- Child Trauma Toolkit for Educators- Provides information for educators, parents, and caretakers. In addition, this includes an overview of psychological and behavioral impact of trauma separated by grade level.
- Fostering Resilient Learners: Strategies for Creating a Trauma-Sensitive Classroom- Based on research and the author's experience working with trauma-affected students, this book will help you understand what trauma is and how it hinders learning, motivation, and success for all students. Strengths-based approaches and solutions to building relationships are explored in detail.
- Helping Traumatized Children Learn- This publication authored by the Trauma and Learning Policy Initiative, describes the impact of trauma on learning and proposes a policy agenda.
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention- Provides information on the Adverse Childhood Experiences study along with links to statistics and related publications.
- Child Trauma Academy- A non-profit organization that translates emerging findings about the human brain and child development into practical implications for the ways we educate children.
- Sesame Street in Communities- Provides educators with videos, lessons, printables, and other tools to teach children strategies to cope with traumatic experiences.
Self-Care for Educators and Providers