Parent / Family Engagement
- Parent Resource Guides
- Professional Learning Opportunities
- Parent Groups and Committees
- School District Parent / Family Engagement Contacts
Parent involvement is most successful when it is viewed, practiced, and promoted as a partnership between home and school. At SDCOE, we are all committed to working in partnership with students, parents, school districts, and the community to achieve academic success for all students in San Diego County. We want to see all students achieve the dream of college.
Network with job-alike colleagues to build professional expertise, share resources and learn about current education issues. The network is for district / site parent liaison, administrator and / or teacher leaders responsible for parent engagement.
Building Capacity for Parents
- Early Pregnancy inTeenage Latinas and its Academic Consequences 6-12
- Video: Indoctrinated
- Self Improvement for a Fulfilling Life
- Life Self-Esteem
- Parent Engagement for Academic Success
- Reading and Homework Leads to Academic Success
- How to Get to College K-12
- Six Types of Parent Engagement K-12
- The Importance of School Attendance
- Engaging Families During the Summer
- Parent Involvement in Decision Making
- Digital Citizenship
How to Get to College
School districts need to provide professional learning for parents. The How to Get to College professional learning opportunity for English learner coordinators, English language development (ELD) teachers, parent liaisons, and parent leaders will provide the knowledge and resources for you to hold a workshop for your school's parents on how to motivate, support, and encourage their child to get to college.
Six Types of Parent Involvement
School districts need to provide professional learning for parents. The Six Types of Parent Involvement professional learning experience is designed for English learner coordinators, ELD teachers, parent liaisons, and parent leaders. Attendees will be able to facilitate professional learning sessions for their own school parents based on Joyce Epstein's Six Types of Involvement framework, as well as how to assist, involve, and include parents as stakeholders in the school's decision-making process.
Reading and Homework Lead to Academic Success
School districts need to provide professional learning for parents. The Reading and Homework Lead to Academic Success professional learning opportunity is designed for English learner coordinators, ELD teachers, parent liaisons, and parent leaders. Attendees will be able to facilitate professional learning sessions for parents on different strategies to motivate, help and support their children with completing homework and improving reading skills. This presentation combines two professional learning experiences in one.
Parents are a key component of the planning, monitoring, and evaluation process for state and federal categorical funds. The School Site Council (SSC), District Advisory Council and other parent groups provide important input into the planning process. Each group operates under requirements governed by Education Code. Guidance and trainings for parent groups are available.
School Site Council Resources
English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC)
Every school site with 21 or more English learners form an English Learner Advisory Committee which is responsible for advising the principal and staff on programs and services for English learners, and the School Site Council on the development of the Single Plan for Student Achievement.
District-Level English Learner Advisory Committee (DELAC)
Each school district with 51 or more English Learners is required to form a district-level English Learner Advisory Committee for the purpose of advising the district governing board on programs and services for English learners.
Learning Continuity and Attendance Plan (LCAP) Parent Advisory Committee (PAC)
A committee formed by the district to provide advice about the LCAP. The majority of the committee members must be parents of students in the district and include representatives of the "unduplicated" student groups (low income, English learner, and foster youth). The draft LCAP will be shared with the PAC and the superintendent must respond to any committee comments in writing. If a district already has a committee that meets these requirements (such as a DAC) then the district does not need to form a new committee to meet this requirement.
LCAP English Learner Parent Advisory Committee (ELPAC)
A committee formed by the district to provide advice about the LCAP in those districts whose enrollment includes at least 15% English Learners and at least 50 pupils who are English Learners. The majority of the committee members must be parents of English Learner students in the district. The draft LCAP will be shared with the ELPAC and the superintendent must respond to any committee comments in writing. If a district already has a committee that meets these requirements (such as a DELAC) then the district does not need to form a new committee to meet this requirement.
- Alpine: Bobbi Burkett, phone: 619-445-3236 ext. 803
- Bonsall Union: Heather Golly, phone: 760-631-5218 ext. 1012
- Borrego Springs Unified: Mark Stevens, phone: 760-767-5357 ext. 508
- Cajon Valley Union: Michael Serban, phone: 619-590-8884
- Cardiff: Janelle Scheftner, phone: 760-632-5894 ext. 130
- Carlsbad Unified: Kimberly Huesing, phone: 760-331-5014
- Chula Vista Elementary: Angelica Maldonado, phone: 619-425-9600 ext. 1465
- Coronado Unified: Julia Braga, phone: 619-522-8900 ext. 1024
- Del Mar Union: Shelley Petersen, phone: 858-755-9301 ext. 3693
- Encinitas Union: Veronica Gonzalez, phone: 760-944-4300 ext. 1460
- Escondido Union: Kimberly Israel, phone: 760-432-2386
- Escondido Union High: Jennifer Medeiros, phone: 760-291-3246
- Fallbrook Union: Lea Curcio, phone: 760-731-5416
- Fallbrook Union High: Jorge Rojas, phone: 760-723-6332 ext. 6296
- Grossmont Union High: Michele Estill, phone: 619-593-2710
- Jamul - Dulzura Union: Yesenia Robinson, phone: 619-669-7850
- Julian Union: Brian Duffy, phone: 760-765-0661
- Julian Union High: Carroll Ruffell, phone: 760-765-0606 ext. 218
- La Mesa-Spring Valley: Elisa Holston-Areaga, phone: 619-668-5700 ext. 6395
- Lakeside Union: Kim Reed, phone: 619-390-2608
- Lemon Grove: Azucena Garcia, phone: 619-825-2880
- Mountain Empire Unified: Cheryl Lugo, phone: 619-478-5930 ext. 901
- National: Beverly Hayes, phone: 619-336-7503
- Oceanside Unified: Deb Wickman, phone: 760-966-7843
- Poway Unified: Jami La Fuze, phone: 858-521-2748
- Ramona Unified: Ingrid Forbes, phone: 760-787-2063
- Rancho Santa Fe: Hannah Clements, phone: 858-756-1141 ext. 116
- San Diego Unified: Sandra Cephas, phone: 619-725-7264
- San Dieguito Union High: Manuel Zapata, phone: 760-753-6491 ext. 5100
- San Marcos Unified: Spencer Wavra, phone: 760-752-1271
- San Pasqual: Julie Romero, phone: 760-745-4931
- San Ysidro: Cynthia Monreal Gonzalez, phone: 619-428-4476 ext. 3070
- Santee: Bonner Montler, phone: 619-258-2356
- Solana Beach: Sabrina Lee, phone: 858-794-7137
- South Bay: Lisa Celaya, phone: 619-628-1633
- Sweetwater Union High: Jacob Dominguez, phone: 619-934-8895
- Valley Center-Pauma: María Cordero, phone: 760-749-0464
- Vallecitos: Maritza Koeppen, phone: 760-728-7092 ext. 229
- Vista Unified: Jacqueline Bispo, phone: 760-726-2170 ext. 92011
- Warner Unified: David Macleod, phone: 760-782-3517 ext. 217
Online College Resources
- College Board: College searches, practice SAT questions, loan information.
- CollegeNet: College searches, financial aid, scholarship search, college recruiting, virtual bookstore.
- CSU Mentor: Comprehensive guide to the California State University 23 campuses.
- San Diego State University: Prospective students, other options, virtual tour.
- University of California - San Diego
- White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for Hispanic Americans
- California Public Media Education Resources / Recursos Educativos Proporcionados por Los Medios Públicos de California
- Recursos en español sobre la alfabetización para padres curated by Saroj Ghoting
- 7 Formas de Ayudar a tu Hijo a Comprender lo que Lee
- 10 preguntas para conversar sobre libros con tus hijos
- 6 Key considerations for ELs in Distance Learning - SEAL Microsoft resources in Spanish
- Latinx Education Achievement Report / Informe del Progreso de la Educación Latinx