Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports
Positive Behavioral Intervention and Supports (PBIS) is an evidence based three-tiered framework to improve and integrate all the data, systems, and practices, affecting student outcomes every day.
PBIS creates schools where all students can succeed. When implemented with fidelity, PBIS allows schools to function more effectively, efficiently, and equitably. When implemented with fidelity, PBIS has shown success in the following areas:
- Increase pro-social behaviors
- Close the achievement gap for all subgroups
- Increase instructional minutes
- Increase perception of safety on all school campuses
- Establish prevention and early identification systems as a way of doing business
- Decrease suspensions, expulsions, and increase attendance
How does it work?
A key strategy of the PBIS process is prevention. The majority of students follow the school's expectations, but not often acknowledged for their positive behavior. Through instruction, comprehension and regular practice, all stakeholders use a consistent set of behavior expectations and rules. When some students do not respond to the teaching of the behavioral rules, PBIS schools view it as an opportunity for re-teaching, not punishing.
elements of PBIS
PBIS is the integration of four elements:
- Operationally defined and valued outcomes;
- Behavioral and biomedical science;
- Research-validated practices; and
- Systems change to enhance the broad quality with which all students are living / learning and reduce problem behaviors
Congrats to our state recognized silver PBIS IMplmetation awardees!
Scroll Down To Learn More